Friday, July 4, 2008

Today is the day we celebrate our Independence...



In the United States, Independence Day, commonly known as the Fourth of July, is a federal holiday commemorating the adoption of the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776, declaring independence from the Kingdom of Great Britain. Independence Day is commonly associated with fireworks, parades, barbecues, carnivals, picnics, baseball games, and various other public and private events celebrating the history, government, and traditions of the United States, but is often also viewed as simply a summer festival, apart from its patriotic overtones.

Hey folks! Thanks for dropping by today! I always loved that part of the movie Independence Day. Aside from looking at Will Smith that is :-) The only thing I would add to that speech now is that we ARE at war with something more frightening than those crazy aliens in the movie. The enemy is even closer and quite elusive. It's our great gubment and their high food and gas prices, backwards policies and agenda to suppress the little people. I digress... Anyway, I hope everyone is enjoying the day with family and friends and have erased all worries, at least for the day...

I'm home with my mom just relaxing and taking my absolute own time to get anything done. We woke up late, we ate brunch late, I went to the store to pick up a few items at my own leisure. Since it's just the two of us, I asked mom what she wanted for our 4th of July meal. I figure since we didn't make the trip to Charleston, SC to visit the rest of the family, at least today's meal would be all about her. She has 6 other brothers and sisters and they are all in Charleston, SC. She loves to go visit but with high gas prices and my tight schedule, we couldn't swing it this time around. Mom has chosen the following for her 4th of July cuisine- Low Country Boil, Shrimp Fried Rice, Grilled Chicken, My Special BBQ Baked Beans, Potato Salad, Watermelon, Marinated Veggie Salad, Peach Cobbler with Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream and Sweet Tea. A real Southern Meal! Guess who gets to cook all of it???? It's all good, I don't mind and we'll have plenty of food for days. With that being said, I'm going to share my Special Baked Bean recipe before I sign off for the day. And for those of you that are wondering, Yes, I can get down in the kitchen with the best of them.
Actually, the recipe is from my best friends mom. She currently lives in ATL but she's from Jacksonville, Florida and she should be on the road right now headed home. If you read this, I hope your travels are safe! Give moms a big hug for me and tell her I'm still cooking up those beans! Taste so good, make you wanna slap somebody!!


BBQ Baked Bean Recipe
1 3lb can of Baked Beans, drained
1 8oz can of crushed pineapple, drained
1 1/2 cup of brown sugar
1 1/2 cup of BBQ sauce (I prefer KC Masterpiece)
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
1/2 cup of chopped onions and bell pepper

Combine the baked beans, pineapple, sugar, BBQ sauce, liquid smoke, onions and peppers in a 13x9 baking dish. Sprinkle black pepper on top to your taste. Place the slices of bacon on top if desired.

Bake in oven on 375 for 30 minutes.
Enjoy!


Until next time,

4 comments:

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

surprised u and talk about fred douglass folk
be safe jone

12kyle said...

That food really does look good. Did you REALLY make it? Lol. Just kiddn. I've never tasted any of your food. You gotta cook sumthin at homecoming this year.

12kyle said...

Happy 4th

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

and did u cook
my stomach is my weakness